Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Weekly Challenge #376 - String Theory

This week's Diva Challenge was for everyone to use the same string, and perhaps make four to create a mosaic. Never one to back down from a challenge, and what the heck it was a rainy day, so what else was there to do...


Top Left: Copada, Knyt, Fracas
Top Right: Aura Leah, Shattuck, (Grrr... messed up that one in the middle), Coil, Ahh
Bottom Left: Diva Dance, A-Fog, Florz, Pepper
Bottom Right: Phicops, Queen's Crown, Mooka/Laced (also wonky), and ------?

My question to you esteemed CZTs is how do you choose which tangles to use together? I'm kind of hit and miss on these. My Shattuck shouldn't have been next to Aura Leah. My A-Fog. was too similar to the Diva Dance. Is there a rule of thumb on how to choose which tangles to put adjacent to others? Weight, style, box vs. ribbon vs. organic? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Duchess

8 comments:

  1. All beautiful, but my fav is top right

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with this mosaic.

    I'm not a CZT, but a long-time tangler. I try to choose tangles that will complement each other--e.g, some circular, some linear, some dark, some light. However, sometimes it's actually a nice look to have similar tangles working together. For example, I think your Shattuck and Aura Leah look great together. The Aura Leahs almost look like they're escaping from the Shattuck. Same with the Diva Dance and A-Fog--they're similar enough to look good together, but also give a little complexity. I think your choice of tangles was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with Karen Lynn! And about grey paper to tangle on: some time I just ordered soms paper (blue, grey and cream) and cut them in pieces of a 'tile' format.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a fine job selecting complimentary tangles. I also try to find contrasting tangles and try to use background tangles that won't overpower a more complex tangle that I might be wanting to showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you really went all out on this one. As for choosing tangle patterns, it is a hit and miss option. Some work, some don't. After 5 years, I still struggle at times with this. I try and mix organic forms with more straight-lined ones, and the contrasts different. After a while you get in a flow of what works together. And you can always morph a pattern into another one if they are too similar!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these all look lovely! I try to think about contrast-dark vs light, delicate vs bold. Sometimes you don't really know until it's done. Maybe try filling in the shattuck with dark, highlighted stripes? I think it looks fine the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would have differentiated it from the Aura Leah. Awesome suggestion. Thanks so much.

      Delete